Sumela Monastery Tour
Places to visit: Sumela Monastery
Duration: 6 hours
Departure from: Trabzon Port
- This is a private tour and includes a driver and a separate English-speaking guide who will accompany you into all attractions to provide commentary.
Once you arrive to the Port of Trabzon, your private guide will be waiting to lead you to your own luxury vehicle, in which you can relax as your private shore excurison to Sumela Monastery. Sumela Monastery is a Greek Orthodox monastery dedicated to Virgin Mary which was built between 75AD and 95AD and founded in 386AD during reign of the Emperor Theodosius I, Legend has it that two priests undertook its creation after discovering a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary in a cave on the mountain. During its long history, the monastery fell into ruin several times and was restored by various emperors. During the 6th century, it was restored and enlarged by General Belisarius at the behest of Justinian. After the visit of Sumela Monastery we will head to St Sophia Museum which is a Chalcedonian (Greek Orthodox) church located in the city of Trabzon in the north-eastern part of Turkey. It dates back to the thirteenth century when Trabzon was the capital of the Empire of Trebizond. After all the visits, you will turn back to port of Trabzon.
- Transportation by A/C vehicle,
- English speaking professional guiding services,
- Entrance fees to sites and museums, Lunches
- 2 small bottled water per person
- Parking fees for the vehicle.
- Other alcoholic and non alcaholic beverages
- Personel expenses,
- Gratiuties to tour guides and drivers