Beauties of Iskenderun Tour
Places to visit: Antakya Archaeological Museum, Cave Church of St. Peter
Duration: 6 Hours
Departure from: Iskenderun Port
- This is a private tour and includes a driver and a separate English-speaking guide who will accompany you into all attractions to provide commentary.
Traveling south of Iskenderun, you will enjoy the beautiful countryside of the Mediterranean region before reaching the city of Antakya, situated in a broad river valley. This whole region claims a wealth of history dating back to Bible times and beyond. First you will visit the “cave church” of St. Peter , where it is said the Apostle preached to the Christian population of Antioch. The tunnel which once opened to the other side is thought to have served as an escape route in the direction of the mountains. The Acts of the Apostles informs us that St. Barnabas met St. Paul from Tarsus here and “for a whole year they stayed with the Church and taught Christianity to a large number of people.” Next, you will visit the Antakya Mosaic & Archaeological Museum with its famed collection of Roman Mosaics ranking among the best of their kind in the world and all excavated locally. The mosaics are in a state of almost immaculate preservation and the museum is one of the world’s foremost specialist mosaic museums. Then you will visit the Habib-i-Neccar Mosque, Antakya’s oldest and finest house of Islam. This mosque was originally incorporated into the shell of a Byzantine Church which was in turn built on the site of an ancient temple–layers of religion that lie at the heart of Turkey.
- Transportation by A/C vehicle,
- English speaking professional guiding services,
- Entrance fees to sites and museums,
- 2 small bottled water per person
- Parking fees for the vehicle.
- Other alcoholic and non alcaholic beverages,
- Personel expenses,
- Gratiuties to tour guides and drivers